Search This Blog

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Doin' a Little Inventory before Go Time!

Alright, here we go again.  20 weeks to race day  Training officially starts tomorrow.  Time to take a quick inventory of where I am at right now and where I need to get to.  In terms of fitness, I am really close.  Keep in mind I only missed my goal last October by 137 seconds.  Since then I have completed a partial training cycle (before it was derailed by life) and have also set PR's in the 5K and half-marathon.  I am very confident that one more, well-planned and well executed training cycle will get me to sub 3-hours.  So, before I begin, where am I at and what needs to happen?

Mileage base - slowly and smartly build my base back to an average of 80 miles per week and a peak in the mid-90's.  I should be there in 30 days, leaving 16 weeks for speed work and fine tuning.  I'm not worried about this phase as I am feeling good and not averse to some long slow miles.  I currently have no injuries, not even a niggle and I plan on keeping it that way.

Fitness level - highest it has been in a long time.  Again, be smart about the miles and I should be ready to kill this.  I'm not going  to get too hung up on gym work-outs.  I don't get a lot of benefit of weight training, but I do enjoy a light workout now and then.  Here are the numbers, resting HR of 42, BP this morning of 111/78 and post run weight of 159.  I want to try to keep that weight there, but it always drops to the low 150's no mater how much I eat.  My 5k pace is 5:50, 10k pace is 6:04 and HMP is 6:28.  According to all the calculators I am a 2:57 marathon guy!

Gear - I am still debating what shoe to run the marathon in.  I am running almost exclusively in the Brooks PureConnect, a very minimal shoe.  I have run many 16 to 20 mile runs in these with no ill effect, so maybe they will be a good race day shoe.  Need something light, flexible and cushioned.  Need to work on this.

Diet - wow, does this need to change.  I really have let this go in the past month or so.  Way to much beer, sugar and refined/processed crap.  I just have to remind myself how good I felt last summer when I virtually eliminated this from my diet.  So, that being said, I think I will enjoy my last pale ale tonight for the summer and begin to fuel this body properly.  I am not against a little indulgence every now and then, but it needs to be kept to a minimum

The Plan - based mainly on the Pfitzinger 85 mile plan, with some easy miles added to the mix.  Most weeks will consist of doubles on Monday (both easy) speedwork on Tuesdays (9 to 12 miles) doubles on Wednesday (again, very easy) recovery Thursday, MLR on Friday (9 to 15 miles) recovery on Saturday and LR on Sunday (17 to 24) with monthly MP runs.

Racing - I do have some tune up races planned.  The usual MDRA Grand Prix series, my hometown's 5 miler (I have defend my title) and I plan on throwing in a couple more 10k tune-ups in there.

Intangibles - mentally I feel pretty good.  Looking forward to the plan and am positive.  Work schedule continues to be a b***, but at some point I need to let some of this stress go.  Stress is my enemy right now and a man can only work so many hours in the day.  I plan on being better organized this year.  I realized that I waste too much time every morning rummaging through gym bags looking for clean socks, my Garmin or nutrition.  I need to get up in the morning and get out the door.  Lastly, I think I need some good ol' fashion Rocky Balboa type motivation on a semi-regular basis.  I tend to approach these training cycles in a very methodical and rational way.  Nothing like a little corn ball type motivation to make this a little more fun!

Concerns - nothing to major.  Really, the only things that can get in my way are my work schedule and an unforeseen injury.  Some fatigue and the occasional GI will improve with the diet change.  I just gotta stay positive and motivated. 

Wish me luck!

Happy Running!

Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment