Search This Blog

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Volume I, Chapter 1, page one....

My 20 week plan is underway.  I've decided to break down my plan into five, 4-week segments.  To steal a phrase from Pfitzinger, I will call them mesocylcles.  All that means is a mini-plan within a bigger plan.  Sounds cool, though.  So without further adieu I give you Mesocycle I, week 1 and days one through six.  It was a rousing success.  I nailed my first 70-plus mile week and feel energized and ready for more.  Now, come see me at Mesocycle III, week 2, day 4 and I may have a different tale to tell!  This week included 3 two-a-day work-outs, a MLR on Friday, a speedy tempo run on Tuesday and a 16 mile progression run today, starting at 9:00 per mile pace and finishing at 6:41.  I was looking at my blog posts from last year and about this same time in 2011 I had a similar post, some nonsense about feeling giddy about my running.  It must be the first warm days of summer that does strange things to your brain.  Whatever is causing it, I'll take it and go with it for as long as possible. 

Thanks to the neighbor's obnoxious dog, I was up at 4:45 this morning!  Who lets their dog out at 4:45 am?  Anyway, it turns out to be a blessing in disguise.  I'm on the trail at sunrise and had a wonderful running moment, listening to Ray Lynch while running the trail along Lake Minnetonka.  Perfect easy 6 mile warm up before I got into the meat of my workout.  I'm not much of a meditative/Zen kinda guy, but this is probably as close as I'll ever get.

I'll need those Zen-like influences today.  Of course, in the middle of a major June heatwave our AC goes out, followed soon after by our refrigerator.  We had some meat in the freezer that we didn't want to throw out, so we stuck that in the crock pot and let it cook all night.  What a combo, hot, stuffy house and a crock pot full of meat cooking all night.  Not quite a what you read about in the Feng Shui books.  I call it Hillbilly Feng Shui.  
Happy Running!

Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment