Search This Blog

Monday, May 28, 2012

Rarin' and Ready to GO!

My Des Moines Marathon training cycle doesn't officially start for a couple of weeks, but I am ready to get this rolling.  I raced the Brian Kraft 5K this morning and set another PR, beating last year's time by 24 seconds!  I ran an 18:07 with mile splits of 5:52, 5:50 and 5:49.  I knew I had a good shot at sub 18:30, but I was surprised I came as close to 18 as I did.  Now I have a sub-18 5K on my mind!  A 17:XX would look good on the PR line.  Racing is going well and as long as I stay healthy and don't do something stupid, I have a great shot at sub-3 in the fall.  I love to plug my new times in the MacMillan Racing Calculator to see what time it will spit out.  New MacMillan time is now just north of 2:56!  Woohoo!

The crazy heat continues to raise havoc with people's marathon times this spring.  After pulling the plug on Green Bay last week, Madison was cancelled a week before race day.  The Rochester Med City Marathon went on as planned, but not without extra medical staff and water stops.    I am not a good heat runner, but know enough to cut back the pace significantly when the temps get over 70 and the humidity is over 80.  Good luck to all the runners out there and stay safe.  This is supposed to be fun, remember!?!

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment