Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Habitual Planner

The racing season and Grand Prix are over.  You would think that I would take a few weeks off and not think about running for awhile.  Not the way my brain is wired.  I spent the week running casually with no plans for any races or training program in place and felt like a ship without a rudder.  It was only one week, but I need to have a race or a goal or a training plan or I'm just not happy.  Luckily, in my in-box was next year's Grand Prix schedule and first up is the Meet of the Miles at the U of M Fieldhouse on Janaury 9th.  Ah, only 8 weeks away and a perfect time to develop and design an 8 week plan to break 5:20.  Penciled it out this morning as a matter of fact, then went running; with a purpose.  My obssessive, compulsive need to plan was not yet satifisfied, so I quickly laid out an outline for a plan through May.  After the Meet of the Miles, I'll only be 19 weeks out from a couple of spring marathons that I have my eye on, Green Bay or Fargo.  (I'm a sucker for exotic locations!)

Here is a typical week for my sub-5:20 mile:

Monday - 45 to 60 minutes easy plus 30 to 45 minutes conditioning/weights
Tuesday - 4x400m at current mile pace followed by 4x400m at goal pace.  2 minutes between 400m and 3 minutes between sets.  Also 2 miles warm-up and 1 mile cool down
Wednesday - 45 to 60 minutes easy plus 30 to 45 minutes conditioning weights
Thursday - 2x2400m at 5k pace
Friday -  45 to 60 minutes easy plus 30 to 45 minutes conditioning weights
Saturday - 12x100m strides or 12x100m hill repeats
Sunday - 90 minutes easy

I'm looking forward to see how fast I can get this 50-year old body to move. 

Happy Running

1 comment: