Search This Blog

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Enjoying another good week of running...

Had another week of easy miles and relaxed running, capped off with some racing fun on Sunday.  I'm really enjoying what I call my 20/20/20 work-outs.  My running version of Herman Cain's 9/9/9 plan!  I've been heading to the gym and running 20 minutes on the treadmill as fast as I can.  This is followed by 20 minutes of weights, core conditioning and other type nonsense and capped off with 20 minutes of treadmill work as fast as I can go.  Certainly not a plan that is going to win me the Republican nomination for president, but who would want that job anyway!  Hey, I'm up to 6 chin-ups!  Not bad for a 98-pound weakling!

Rocky's Run was today; the 6k version this year.  I really enjoyed it and am very happy with my 24:14 finish.  Lots of hills, hairpin turns and WIND.  Ran a smart race and had a nice even effort.  I benefited of running with some of the women's U of M Cross County team (must have been the B-squad!!) who had a coach running with them.  He coached them every step of the way, letting them know to go easy and relaxed up this hill, race down that hill, lets hit our stride on this flat portion, open it up here etc.  I did my best to run like a girl!  I don't think we will have official race results for this race however.  It was timed the old-fashioned way, with tear off tabs that get placed on a spindle at the finish.  The wind was so strong that a bunch of the tabs blew away; it was pretty hilarious watching race officials chasing scraps of paper down the fairway!  Maybe they will invest in chip timing next year.

This was the last race of the season and for 2011.  It was a pretty good racing year.  I was able to set PR's in the 5k, 10K and Marathon.  It also looks like I'll win my age group for the Grand Prix and finish 5th overall.  I learned a lot this year, training the way I did and am looking forward to more PR's next year.  I think I proved that you CAN teach a very old dog new trick.  Maybe even the elusive sub-3 hour marathon barrier will fall.  Thanks to all that I have run with and offered advice; it was greatly appreciated.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment