Search This Blog

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Boston Marathon 2016 - Week 2/19 - The Build-Up Continues

Week number two highlights a 60-mile week and a couple of pretty decent quality workouts.  I was happy that I made it to 60, which keeps me on track for reaching my mileage goals in January, when the work really begins.  I felt pretty good, considering I haven't run this much since September.  I think it is safe to jump to 65 to 70 for the next week, then probably have a cutback week.

I was also quite satisfied with the quality workouts I had on Tuesday and Thursday.  Tuesday's effort was 10 miles outside on a hilly course.  It was to be a progression run with the last 3 miles being at or around 6:30 pace.  I was okay with 6:49, 6:38 and 6:30.  Hey, it was dark, windy and hilly!  Thursday I wanted a more controlled environment, so did a similar workout on the treadmill.  Much better logging a 6:38, 6:29 and 6:21.  Modest workouts yes, but this build up is gradual and if I want to get to the start line healthy, this is the only way.  If I really want to run 26.2 miles at 6:29 pace, this is what it will take.

Looking ahead to next week, I have about 65 miles planned.  Probably one quality run and add mileage by doing a medium long run in the middle of the week.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment