Search This Blog

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Frustrating Week

Had a frustrating week, mainly because of lower back spasms that came out of nowhere.  This lower back problem is nothing new, I usually miss a few days every year because of this.  I have been through physical therapy and all different regimens of stretching and conditioning, but this damn back problem still shows up unexpectedly.  This week was doubly frustrating because the back spasms started the same day as the TC Mile, a race I was really looking forward to.  So, I am determined to not let this happen again. The appointment has been made at my trusty chiropractor and in addition to the typical adjustments, I am not leaving his office until I have a solid conditioning plan and a determination as to what is causing this.

Not only did I miss a race, but my grand plans for high mileage were dashed as well.  I started out the week getting my 10 miles per day when the back went wonky.  I missed running Thursday, Friday and the 20-miler on Saturday.  Not only did I not run on Thursday and Friday, but I found it a challenge just to stand upright!  Saturday, I felt better, but I also knew that a 20 miler was not a good idea, so I paced my Williston group on a bike.  Like magic, the long slow bike ride seemed to loosen up my hips and the back instantly felt better.  What a relief.  May test it out today for an easy 6.

Yes, I'll be back at it next week, shooting for 80 miles plus.  Twin Cities and Boston Marathons are waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment