Search This Blog

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Boston Marathon 2016

My feeling of Zen was shattered this week.  It is the Boston Marathon's fault.  2016 is my year to run the Boston Marathon and I want to start training now!  Now, I know that a 51 week training schedule is a bit extreme, but I can't wait.  It was the story of the Rebekah Gregory who was a non-runner and lost a leg in the 2013 bombing and became a runner to finish Boston.   It was Maickel Melamed the gentlemen with Muscular Dystrophy who took 20 hours to complete the race.  It was another year where I watch and track so many others, wishing I was there.  Yes, 2016 is the year I will finally run the Boston Marathon.  How exciting is that!  I just read that they are using the same qualifying standards from last year, so I should be able to get in the first week.

Boston Marathon Fun Fact:  From 1897 to 1923 the Boston Marathon was only 25.5 miles.  The official marathon distance of 26 miles 385 yards was codified by the Olympic committee in 1921 and the start line for Boston was moved from Ashland to Hopkinton in 1924. 

This Saturday I will find out where my fitness is at.  I am racing a 10K and haven't really done too much 10K specific training.  I have run quite a few miles, but those miles have been pieced together, running with my marathon training group, running with my dog, just taking it real easy.  If I do real well, I may just write a book on how to just run a lot, real slow and watch your race times plummet.  I don't expect that to happen; what I expect to happen is a 38:xx effort, probably closer to 39 than 38.  A long ways off from my 2:50 marathon goal, but its a start.  Time to get to work, Twin Cities Marathon is only 23 weeks away!

Good luck to all the Williston runners racing the Lake Minnetonka Half Marathon this Sunday.  You all have put in lots of good training miles and I look forward to some shiny new PR's!

No comments:

Post a Comment