Search This Blog

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Mileage as Part of my DNA

Last week I wrote about the evolution of my running.  I was thinking about it even more this week, especially in regards to the frequency of my runs and the high mileage.  I no longer think of runs as "workouts."  It is just something I do.  There is not a lot of prep time, because I always seem to have running clothes on or at the ready.  I don't have to think about what kind of run because I almost always run by feel.  I rarely feel wiped out after I run, so I can do it over and over again.  Run with the dog in the morning, then get a call from someone who wants to run again at 11:00?  No problem.  It's like walking to me now.  I go on a long run and get lost, again no problem.  What's a few miles?  I never worry about pace any longer.  I run with folks who run 10:30 pace and also at 7:30 pace.  I will run at 9 minute miles at 5 am and run 10 minute miles at 9 pm or speedier runs in middle of the day.  Sometimes all three in one day!  It's all just running, it's not an event, it's not a workout, it just what I do.  Dare I say I am closer to reaching a Zen state in regards to my running?  Or, could I becoming an Ultra runner?

On the negative side, I do wonder how this new mindset and approach will effect my racing.  I have skipped a few races and even missed a Grand Prix event, which is something I normally wouldn't do.  I still want to race and do well, but the drive just isn't there like it was.  Also, I think I can race just as well with this laid back running approach.  At least that is what I keep telling myself.

Regardless, I will continue to enjoy the progression towards becoming a wise, peaceful and balanced runner. (Not so sure on the wise part!)

No comments:

Post a Comment