Search This Blog

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Slow but Steady Comeback

It was a good week, it was a high mileage week, but all in all, not a very fast week.   The back feels good, but missing all those key work outs over the past two weeks definitely had an effect on my fitness.  I ran two very easy recovery runs on Monday, followed by a 10 miler on Tuesday morning where I unsuccessfully attempted to log 5 miles at a HMP of 6:25.  Couldn't find the gear and the fastest mile was 6:40.  Wednesday was more doubles and the next key work out would be Sunday with 18 and 10 at MP.  The MDRA 15k was on the schedule, which would give me an opportunity to air things out a bit and see where I stand.  I did a very easy warm up of about 6 and then got ready to race.  It was cool, but a bit humid, not anything that would effect my effort.  First mile was pretty fast, logging in at 6:12.  I slowed a bit for mile 2 and mile 3 was a long, slow gradual hill which really took a lot out of me.  I held pace for the remainder of the race and never found that late in the race higher gear.  I was happy to finish in under an hour (6:25 pace) and will chalk this up as a very aggressive MP training run.

My program continues to hammer away with more doubles, two quality runs and a mileage of total of over 100.  Depending on how the back feels, I may reduce that mileage just a tad.  The back feels good, but I don't want to push my luck.  PT felt good and I hope to have the back strength of maybe an 80 year old man soon!  No more racing until Labor Day, when the schedule gets really serious.  I like where I am at even with the missed time; good enough to get under 2:58 again, but a marathon PR may be a stretch.  

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment