Search This Blog

Sunday, June 9, 2013

An Old Dog and New Tricks (and a New PR!)

So what is the new trick?  Well, I, like most runners have become a slave to my GPS device.  They are wonderful tools for tracking your mileage and measuring your pace accurately. However, I found out this same device can hold you back.  I always race with my trusty Garmin and knowing what my goal is, I can easily lock in the proper pace and come in close to my goal time.  So I raced Saturday morning and as usual, wore my Garmin.  I was expecting a good race and was hoping to run in the 37:30 range or 6:04 pace.  My trusted Garmin read 6:14 for the first mile, 6:10 for the second mile and 6:04 for mile 3.  I wasn't feeling great, but was confident I could run the second 5k quite a bit faster and dip under 37:30 for a new PR.  At mile 3:14, my Garmin quit, blank screen, nuthin'.  I tried to turn it back on, but finally gave up.  I would run the final 3 miles blind.  I know my pace pretty well and it felt like  6 minute pace through mile 4.  I felt kind of a weird surge somewhere in mile 5 and felt like I was wildly out of control at times.  I ran hard up the hills and it felt like I was sprinting down them.  My breathing was under control, but I could tell I was working.  I hit the 5 mile mark and told myself, what the hell, just push as hard as possible.  I was working really hard at this point, flying by the 5k racers, but I honestly didn't think I was under 6 minutes.  One last hill, one last turn and then the final stretch.  I crossed the finish line and didn't see the clock, but I thought I heard someone yell something about 36.  I asked the timer and when he told me 36:42, I almost fell over.  That means after an opening 19 minute 5k, I ran a 17:42!  I was running those last few miles blind, but at a 5:45 pace.  What did I learn?  Don't be a slave to the watch and for these shorter races, just run until it hurts, then hang on for dear life!

What a great confidence booster for Grandmas.  I honestly feel that my sub 2:56 is very doable.  The long term, forecast looks good.  I've got about 12 days to rest up and go after this thing.

Happy Running!

  1. Rick

1 comment:

  1. Rock on! You are ready to uncork a good one a Grandma's. Still got run under control and be patient, but you've demonstrated that you know how to close hard.

    ReplyDelete