Search This Blog

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Adding a New Dimension to Next Training Cycle

Okay, so I've got a big gap between marathons and a lot of time to think about and plan my next move.  As I have stated often, I'm not happy unless I'm in the middle of a plan or planning the next plan.  That being said, I am 30 weeks out from my goal race, much to early to start a new cycle, so I have about 12 weeks to kill.  Why not spend this time improving strength, while at the same time maintaining my running base?  For those that know me, I'm not built for the weight room.  Very typical Ectomorph, 98-pound weakling, string bean, whatever term you want to use.  This doesn't mean I cannot benefit from a 2 or 3 days a week strength plan.  All the research points towards a minimum amount of strengthening lessens the chance of injury and improves performance.  I can put up with the unease of wandering from the treadmill into the "weight" section of the gym, into the land of the grunting and primal screaming.  There is always a handful of muscleheads doing there thing and wondering what the hell Gilligan is doing on their turf! 
 
So today will be day one of the new regimen.  The plan is to run 10 to 12 miles, then do the workout.  Its a set of 9 different lifts/presses and I think I will stick with 3 days per week, cutting back to 1 or 2 days a week  before a race.  Looking forward to see what the results will be.  I have a mile race in mid-January, so that will be my first test.
 
The very rough outline of my Grandma's training plan looks something like this:
 
December to mid-January - base maintenance and strengthening (50 to 60 MPW)
mid January to mid February - base building and strengthening phase II (60 to 70)
mid February to late March - high mileage building period and some sharpening (80 to 90+)
April and May - sharpening and racing (80 to 90+)
June - taper and race day
 
I'm going to stay around 50 to 60 miles per week through the first part of February, then gradually build up to 90 to 100 miles per week by end of March.  I've got 5 races planned between end of March to late May, ranging from 5k to half-marathons.  My paces are going to be structured around my current fitness level, so 8:30 to 9:00 easy runs, GA runs from 7:30 to 8:15, tempos around 6:30 to 6:45 and a wide a variety of interval workouts.  If I can stay healthy, I think I got a good shot at 2:56 at Grandma's, which is a relatively flat and fast course.  Who knows, maybe I have a shot at that elusive sub 18 minute 5K!?

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment