Search This Blog

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Becuase of  the churches on Summit Avenue, the St. Paul Human Race traditionally has a late start, late as in 1:20 in the afternoon.  In a typical March this a good idea, but with temps in 80's it makes things a little tough.  We've been used to running in the cold or indoors so there was no time to get used to these summer temps.  Depsite the heat I had a pretty good race, not making my "A" goal, but easily making my "B" goal and a big, fat PR of 30:12.  Winds were gusty, but not really a factor.  I managed mile splits of 6:08, 6:02, 6:06, 6:10 and the final .96 in 5:46 (it's a easy downhill to finish!) 

Today capped off a pretty high mileage week of about 75 miles, including a 12-miler on Tuesday, a 15-miler Friday and about 17 total today.  After the race I got a chance to do some nice easy miles along West River Road.  I really enjoyed it and brought back some memories.  This used to be my usual running route when I was an urban 20-something, instead of a suburban 50-something.

This week I plan on getting back into the 80-mile weeks, along with some more tempo work-outs and some marathon pace miles on Sunday.  It's going to back to early morning runs from here on in, especially with these crazy temps.

Uh-oh, just got a text from my daughter.  "Can you run with me?"  My body really isn't up for this, but how can I say no!  Looks like I'll be close to 80 for this week afterall.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment