Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Speed Kills

No, this is not a post stating how fast I am.  It is a post to announce that I returned to some speedwork this week with little or no foot pain.  I ran just shy of 80 miles this week and my plan had a bit of a twist.  Rather than run a short recovery run on Saturday and a longer, tougher run on Sunday, I ran a 10-mile tempo run on Saturday and 18+ easier miles on Sunday.  I liked the combination and was happy about my performance on Saturday's run.  All in all it was a step back week and I will get back at it this week.  With my foot feeling better I'm ready for another 90 plus mile week and am flirting with the idea of breaking 100 miles.  There will be a big fitness test on Sunday, with another 20-miler, but this one includes 14 at marathon pace.

With only 6 weeks until race day and the upcoming week having a couple of key runs, I thought it would be wise to get back to well planned week.  It started with the injury, but I let the components of my running plan fall apart just a bit.  With the increased mileage and busy work weeks, I have not found the time to do all my conditioning and core work-outs.  Menu planning has taken a backseat, so the diet has suffered.  I've been finding myself rushing in the morning, stressing about not enough time in the day and since stress is a real energy drain, a little bit of planning seems like a good idea.  I want the next six-weeks to be relaxed and motivating.  It really is crunch time.

I made the mistake of indulging in some of my son's musical collection.  As a rule he has good taste in music, but he is 17, so I shouldn't be surprised by some of his selections.  I didn't even know the songs; I just downloaded them without sampling first.  Of course, the first song that came on my MP3 player this morning was this little gem.  Quite an eye-opener at 6:00 am Sunday morning.  I am issuing a warning here for anyone reading who is under 18 or easily offended by obscenity, Nazis, demonic screaming and mayhem. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWggPLXeOkU&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXfHVh9tJzBAJWUVE-8Z1jzW

About half way through my run this morning this song from Mischief Brew came up.  Again, one of my son's favorites.  If you know my son, this song explains a lot.  I'm ready to explore Mischief Brew a little further, but I think I will leave Bring Me the Horizon to the kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMvqsZqtgkk

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment