Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

No More Lone Wolf.

I've been running pretty consistently for almost 30 years now and have always been a "lone wolf" runner.  I ran solo almost all of the time.  In the last year or so I have opened myself up to running with others and I have to admit that I am enjoying it.  I still really like running on my own and having that time to collect my thoughts, but the social aspect of running is starting to grow on me.  It also seems like a little bit of "social running" begets more "social running.  For example, Saturday morning I was out doing my usual recovery/easy run on my usual trail through Purgatory Park.  Its the same trail I've been running for almost 10 years now.  I rarely see anyone else, let alone find someone to run with,  but on this Saturday, I was cruising along, minding my own business, when some guy is suddenly right on my heels.  He slows down a bit and warns me he is passing on my left and we exchange salutations.  We get to talking and the next thing you know we've run 4 miles together and are gabbing like old friends.  (BTW, thanks for the run Ted)  Today I ran with someone for a few miles and it helped me stay on my pace.  Lesson learned, it pays to run with someone who is a LOT faster than you. (Thanks for the pacing effort, Rob)  I then finished off my run, with a short stint with one of my marathon clinic students.  As we are running past scenic Lake Minnetonka, some woman yells out to me, "Hey, this is the third time I've seen you on this trail today!"  I guess you spend enough hours on the same trails and you are bound to get recognized.  Any way, I still run about 60 to 70% solo and that seems to be a pretty good balance.  Besides I wouldn't want to tarnish my reputation and be mistaken for a "people person!"

I survived my big week and the foot is feeling pretty good.  It was my second 90 plus mile week of the training cycle and it was a pretty good confidence booster.  I did some speed work early in the week and finished off with 20 miles, 14 of those were of the marathon pace variety.  I have some races coming up in the next few weeks so I can test my fitness level.  A 10K on Labor Day, a 25K on September 11th and the big Old SOD Days Heart of the Prairie 5k on September 17th.  I don't want to get too bold, but I think my time on the Heart of the Prairie 5k may have a 2 in it!

Congrats to my Marathon clinic crew, who all were successfully tackling their first 20-mile runs of their training cycles.  These guys are as devoted as they come and are really an inspiration.  Nice job everyone!

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment