Search This Blog

Sunday, August 14, 2011

My Week Ends on a High Note

The ups and downs of an injury like Plantar Fasciitis are very frustrating.  One day you can virtually pain free, but the next day you can barely walk.  I did take a day off this week (doctor's orders) and I felt much worse after that, go figure.  So, after a lousy run Friday (I was suppose to do 14 with 7 at HMP) I rebounded Saturday with a decent GA 9 miles and believe it or not I ran 24.6 miles today and still had gas left in the tank!  I ran 3 miles at or about 8 minutes, than 7 or so easy with one of my clinic members.  After a few more miles solo, I met a local runner at Freeman Park and ran few miles with him. (Thanks Rob and nice meeting you)  I then had to get home and managed about 10 more miles at or below 8 minute pace, so all in all a pretty good work-out.  After a ice bath for my foot, everything seems to be in good working order tonight; I certainly wouldn't want to run on it, but I'm getting around pretty good.  In regards to the foot treatment, here is the regimen that appears to be working:
  • Strassburg Sock at night
  • Ice Bath
  • Lots and Lots of stretching
  • Ultrasound
  • Sombra - an all natural analgesic made with Aloe and capsacin.  Yeah, it's the stuff in peppers that make them hot.  After a foot massage in the morning and a generous application of this stuff my foot feels great.
  • Smartfeet inserts
  • More ice
I'm pretty much use to putting my running shoes on and heading out the door, so this time consuming regimen is getting a little old, but if I can keep moving, I'll do it.  This week I get to back off a bit and the following will be one of my last chances to hit a 100-mile week.  We'll see if my body holds up.  Mentally I seem to be back into things.  I have to admit that the past two weeks have been discouraging, but I feel like I have my head around things and will be happy no matter the result.  I'm still not prepared to adjust my goal, but a blog called Chasing 3 hours and 5 minutes, just doesn't sound as good!

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment