Search This Blog

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Now things are getting serious.

This week was a cutback week before the real fun begins.  Once again I will be venturing into new territory mileage wise.  I thought today would be a good day to look back on the first 5 weeks and go down my checklist of physical and mental improvements to determine what I could be doing better.  I'm feeling pretty good mentally and physically, but the next 3 weeks are going to be a challenge and I need to be hitting on all cylinders.

Sleep - been doing pretty well here, but I need to shut off the t.v. and do more reading before bed.  Much more relaxing
Diet - probably could do a better job of menu planning.  Been eating well, but the real challenge is eating right and getting enough calories.  When I need to be consuming 3,000 to 4,000 calories a day, its hard to get there on broccoli!  Been keeping up with supplements as well.  I have also learned not to totally deprive myself.  Friday night I ate an entire pepperoni and green olive pizza at Detello's and washed it down with two pints of Shock Tops.  Tasted pretty darn good.  Nice treat on a Friday night!  Other than the two beers on Friday night I have eliminated alcohol.
Conditioning - have to admit that I've fallen off the wagon here.  My new plan is to do 15 minutes per day rather than 45 minutes 3 times per week.
Visualization and self-talk - I knew this would be the first thing to go.  I'm going to try to get back into this again, but one problem.  Almost every time I try these techniques I fall asleep.  I don't think that's supposed to happen!  I've been remaining pretty positive and this whole process still is as exciting as day one, so I'm doing something right.
Extra Mileage and Two-a-days - check and check
Running with others - check, in fact I'm kind of missing some my alone time.
Hydration - check

Here is a sample of what I'm in for this week:

Monday - 6 miles easy
Tuesday am - 11 miles with 5 at 6:40 pace
Tuesday pm - 6 easy with Marathon clinic and maybe some hills
Wednesday am - 15 miles
Wednesday - optional 6 miles very easy
Thursday - 7 miles recovery
Friday - 13 miles general aerobic
Saturday - 8 miles with 8X100M strides
Sunday - 22 miles - some very easy with clinic team

total - 94 miles

Hopefully I'll have the mental energy left on Sunday to write a blog!

Been running with groups this week, so I didn't get a chance to listen much music.  I did listen to this new band (at least new to me) called 100 Monkeys, who I thought were pretty cool.  Here is a sample.  Very funny video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOPP3r3Ci2M

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment