Search This Blog

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Allow me to pout just a bit...

This has been one of those weeks that a runner would rather forget.  My plantar fasciitis has gone from an annoyance to a full-fledged injury.  I've been stretching, icing and massaging it, but it just keeps getting progressively worse.  I even bought a Strassburg Sock, which is basically a splint that keeps the arch gently flexed while resting or sleeping.  I wore it all last night and woke up this morning with no heel pain.  I then proceeded to do my tempo run this morning of 18 miles with 12 at marathon pace.  I warmed up for 3 miles that started to open it up a bit.  I was just starting to click off consecutive marathon pace miles when my heel/arch started barking again.  I had to slow down and eventually stop at about 12 miles.  Practically every workout this week has been slower or shorter than planned because of the damn heel. So excuse me while I pout....

Okay, now that my pouting session is over, lets take a look at the week.  I did manage a relatively successful Rice Street Mile on Thursday, clocking a 5:37 mile in pretty warm conditions.  I don't know what I'm more tired of, my foot pain or the humidity this month.  Oh wait, this is supposed to be the positive part of the blog.  Okay positive, even though I only managed 55 miles for the week I did log 338.29 miles for the month!  Positive.  Even though my foot hurts, I am finding relief by wearing this splint/sock thingy and I have plenty of time to get my quality runs in; all of August and September in fact.  Positive.  This upcoming week was a planned step back week, so it will give me time to rest my foot.  Positive.  The weather can only get less humid, right?  Positive.  My Marathon Clinic participants are all doing well; even though they all ran farther than me today.  Positive.  In a week or so I will look back at this blog and realize how much I was overreacting to a nagging injury.  I always do.  Lets be realistic here, I'm 50 and am running 60 to 90 miles per week; it would be a miracle if I made through an 18 week training cycle with NO injuries.  Positive.  I did discover some new gels this week; they are called Honey Stingers.  They are very tasty and don't get stuck in your teeth.  Positive.  I ran 22.50 miles last Sunday with the second half much faster than the first half.  Positive.  I'm going to take a day off tomorrow, so I can sleep in.  Positive.  All the yard work and household chores were done yesterday, so I have the rest of the day to park my butt and put my foot in my splint.  Here is what it looks like.


No Epiphanies this week.  Closest thing was during one of the later miles of ill-fated tempo run today.  I was struggling and this song helped me hold on long enough to at least finish the mile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGICI8z3SrQ&feature=related

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment