Search This Blog

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Surviving the Heat and Humidity

This morning's weather (pre Thunderstoms) was certainly a welcome relief.  My thermometer read 63 degrees and there was certainly a break in the jungle humidity.  Now the rest of the week was a different story, with overnight temps in the 70's and dew points from 68 to 75 all week.  Blech!  I am happy to report that I only used the treadmill once all week.  Now, I had to get up at 4:30 am to run in  conditions that were bearable, but that is a small price to pay to avoid the treadmill.  I did go through a lot of water and much Powerade.

This was week one of my Pfitz 12/85 plan.  I was a little worried about the radical jump in mileage, but my body held up pretty well.  I ran 84 miles, which was my highest weekly mileage total since late May/early June.  I did recovery doubles on Monday, a 10 miler on Tuesday with 5x800m at 2:50ish pace, a work out that wasn't actually on the schedule, I just read the wrong week!  Wednesday was a 12 mile am run and a 4 mile evening run, cut short because of the 100 degree heat index.  Thursday was more recovery doubles, Friday was just shy of 12, Saturday was 8 and the week capped off with a nice 17.5 mile run with 8 miles at 6:40ish pace.  The run was fantastic and I was having a lot of fun flying down the trail.  My plantar fasciitis flared up at mile 13, but it was a fun run nonetheless.

Alright, one week down and only 8 more until the taper!  You gotta love these 12 week plans!

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment