Search This Blog

Sunday, April 15, 2012

One Big Fartlek

Now that I have written off any spring marathon plans, I can be so much more free-wheelin' with my running.  For those of you not familiar with the term "Fartlek," it is a Swedish term meaning speed play.  It's basically unstructured, unplanned interval work-outs.  If you are running down a trail, you eyball a fir tree a half-mile down the road and try to get there in 3 minutes.  Or you may be running in Uptown and decide to run as fast as you can until you pass the pair of hipsters walking ahead of you (just to avoid the cigarette smoke).  You get the idea.  So anyway, that has been my week.  I did lot of easy trail running, but mixed it up with some pretty speedy road work.  Tuesday I ran 11 miles, 5.5 easy and realizing I was running late for work, I raced the 5.5 back in well under MP.  Pretty much did the same thing on Friday and today, I ran 15 miles, my pace ranging as slow as 8:45 and as speedy as 5:45.  Good fun; fartlek; try it sometime.

I mixed it up pretty good on the music front as well.  I still listened to my regular stuff, but just for laughs I dug out INXS' "Kicks" album.  I think I was in my early 20's when this came out.  It really sucks; does not age well at all and I ended up skipping over most of it for more "grown-up" music.  Not that this is grown-up in any way, shape or form, but I want to get a rise out of any of the AC/DC fans who may happen to read this blog.  Blackburner's "Back in Black" Dubsteb.  Awesome!  Pretty hard not to run you 5K pace to this! (Make sure you listen at least until 1:02)  Great with fartlek!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQRGi7rDX8

Happy Running!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, I attempted but lost the challenge. I listen to a podcast "Tiestos club life" when I run. 60 minutes of good techno.

    ReplyDelete