Search This Blog

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Boston Marathon Week 9 of 19 - Half-Time Pep Talk

I am approaching the halfway point of my training cycle and I have to admit I am in serious need of a pep talk.  Now don't get me wrong, the week went pretty well, but I had to talk myself into every single mile over the weekend.  I planned to do 20 on Saturday, but had to pull the plug at just over 18.    I thought I could make up the difference on Sunday, but could only muster the planned 14 and that was it.  Hips felt like concrete and really very little life or pop in the legs.

On a positive note, even though I just fell short of my 90 mile goal (88.2), it was a mileage PR for the cycle. Also, cranked out a "feel good" tempo run on Thursday night, where I ran 11 miles at 6:49 pace average and 8 at or below 6:25!

However, the real highlight of the week came on Saturday.  I got to watch my daughter debut in the mile at the Bethel track meet.  Very impressed with Malena's first effort, racing a 5:40 mile, which was good enough for 7th out of 25 gals and qualified her for MIAC conference meet!  Pretty impressive for her first mile and only second track meet.  Congrats Malena!

Okay, with 10 weeks left, what is in store?  First objective is to get some stretching and conditioning done early in the week, in hopes to loosen up these hips.  Mileage will be close to the same, maybe try to break 90, and another 8 to 10 mile tempo run mid- week.  In a couple more weeks, I will turn my attention to more interval workouts, where I can fine tune and sharpen things a bit.  Oh, and plenty of racing in March!  Here's to half time!

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment