Search This Blog

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Quality over Quantity?

After back to back 20 milers, I tried to tell myself that this week was going to be one of quality over quantity.  Really, it was just an excuse to lower my mileage and give my fatigued 54-year old bones a rest.  Turns out, I had neither quality or quantity.  Sure I managed a couple of easy runs on Monday and things felt okay, but when I attempted a 13 mile progression run early Tuesday morning, my body cried uncle.  It started off well enough, but at about mile 8, when I was about to put the hammer down and run the last 5 at sub 6:30 pace, I felt like I had suddenly and unexpectedly dropped anchor!  Seriously, I felt like I was pulling a plow and I couldn't force myself to run anything faster than an 8:30ish pace.  Weird.

I figured I needed some more rest from the weekend's mileage, so I ran easy Wednesday and Thursday, hoping to bounce back Friday.  This was better, running 11 miles total with 5x1 mile intervals on the track in 6:27 (first ones always a mulligan), 6:15, 6:12, 6:02 and 6:01.  I wrapped up the week with an easy 18 on Saturday and since I have a race on Monday, decided to fore go the usual back to back long runs.

So, 72 miles for the week was not the plan, but you have to listen to your body, especially as we are getting, ahem, older.

So, after two nights in a row of solid sleep, I hope to bounce back this week with 90 miles and solid performances at both the Victory 10K on Monday and the Jeff Winter City of Lakes Half Marathon on Sunday.  Last year I ran them in 37:05 and 1:21:32.  I would like to say I could match those performances, but I would be lying if I said I was confident.  Looking forward to them nonetheless, they are both great events!

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment