Search This Blog

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Running in Clown Shoes

I am not what you would consider a running shoe geek.  I have a pretty neutral gait and am lucky, because I can run in just about anything.  I prefer a well cushioned show, preferably with less drop from heel to toe and a snug fit through the mid-foot.  I've been a big fan of the Brooks Pure series of shoes, especially the earlier versions of the PureConnect

However, since the demise of the running store I worked at, I have been forced into the open market to find new shoes.  I am notoriously cheap, so I go right to the bargain basement.  While perusing the basement I came across these shoes, the Altra Instict 2.  Zero drop, well cushioned, cool color, but an wider than normal toe box.  That coupled with the wide platform and pontoon-like last, it gives the appearance of a very brightly colored clown shoe!  Tested them out yesterday on my 11 mile run and they felt fantastic.  Because they are wider than normal, I cinched up the lacing a little tighter than normal, but I love the cushioning and the balance of these shoes.  So, I will slap on the red  nose, lace up my Altra's and hit the roads!
 
On another note, I am not a runner who likes to wear belts and stuff to carry water bottles and other stuff; the less I have to carry the better.  That is why I love the Flipbelt.  Its basically a wide waistband, that is one long, continuous pocket and 4 openings.  Load up your gels and flip it over.  Great for stashing several gels, keys and even your Smartphone.  It is very simple, but what a great idea!
 
Good running week for me, managing 60 miles for the first time since last fall, including a tremendous Tuesday track workout and a progressive 10 miler on the treadmill on Friday.  Starting to feel like a runner again.
 
Happy Running!
Rik

No comments:

Post a Comment