Search This Blog

Sunday, March 16, 2014

New Motivation

I took advantage of the spring-like weather this week, running outside everyday, and logging four double digit runs.  More importantly, I found a spark of inspiration, which has been buried in the snow, ice and bitterly cold temps of this endless winter.  After my Friday run with my daughter, I took the afternoon to map out my running plans.  Racing season starts with the Irish Run 8k next Sunday and I found myself getting excited.  I live in an area with so many great races and so many running opportunities, if you don't plan properly you can miss out.  I'm a hopeless planner anyway, so I really  gain motivation by creating these road maps.  

I will be curious to see how I perform at the 8k next week, since my mileage has been substantially lower than it has over the last two years.  The quality has been there, but I have been very careful and deliberate in my mileage build-up.  I feel like I have that luxury since I decided to forgo a spring marathon.  So lots of spring and early summer racing to focus on, The Irish Run 8k, MDRA 7 miler,  Ron Dawes 25k, Fred Kurz 10 mile, and the Get in Gear10k all lead up to my goal race, the New Prague Half Marathon.  I can't wait to get started.

After the barrage of spring racing, I will have a couple of easy weeks before I officially start training June 2nd for the TC Marathon in October.  I hope to go into this training cycle with fresh legs and new perspective.  It needs to be an aggressive, all-out effort if I am going to break 2:53, but I think it's in reach.  I'll be posting weekly from here on out; I find this public journal helps me stay on track and is an invaluable tool for me in measuring and tracking progress.  Here we go!

Happy Running!
Rick

1 comment:

  1. Rick, having a plan and a few goals helps me get out the door for a run too. I'm looking forward to your results. - Dave Petrch

    ReplyDelete